Monday, December 28, 2009

One Light

Been on vacation the past week and this week, so not much to post. Well...lots of pics but I will wait until I get back home to pick some out for the gallery.

I was able to get a few shoots in with Trish while in SJ. Here's one with a simple $20 Sunpak w/DIY snoot and grid. The snoot is made from a Foamie craft sheet, while the grid is made with a bunch of cut up straws. The Sunpak from ebay, used. You can do this for about $25 easily. Trish's sister hand held the flash.

D7A_2825

This was just before sunset. It was cloudy and if you look carefully, it started to rain. I wanted to blend the back ground light into the shot, but obviously, if I exposed for the back ground ambient, then the subject's face would be a bit too dark. Plus the subject's face would be a bit flat since there were no real directional light. Remember the clouds are like a giant softbox. It softens the light every where. This is why I used a simple flash+snoot+grid.

The snoot limits the lights splash and the grid helps soften the edge of the light. This allows for a slight glow of light on Trish's face and upper body only. The light drops off pretty quickly so the tree behind her is not overly bright either. Since the flash is hand held, you can easily fine tune the light intensity be having the flash move a bit closer or further.

I shot this with my D700, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR @ 200mm f/2.8 1/100s ISO 640. If we had more time (due to the rain), I would have taken another shot at f/3.5 or f/4 to see what I like better in the end. The DOF is nice on this one, but I would have liked to see a bit more behind Trish.

Anyway, just another example of something you can do with inexpensive, used flash, if you wanted to give off camera flash is try.

No comments:

Post a Comment