Monday, December 14, 2009

inexpensive macro

I had this reversing ring for a while now. I'm personally not really into macro shots, but it's fun at times. This past week, I had an idea about some macro shots and dug out my reversing ring. Couple of quick shots from yesterday:

I started out with an idea about a broccoli macro, but I did not like what I got.
GTXF #6 - broccoli

Then I got the idea to shoot the TrackPoint from an IBM laptop.
GTXF #6 - IBM

The above shots were pretty simple. The reversing ring is about $15. On one end, it has the lens mount which you mount onto your camera. On the other end, it's just a filter thread. The most common is the 52mm which is what is on the 50mm lens. You screw the ring onto the 50mm lens like a filter. Now you have the 50mm lens mounted backwards on your camera. Be careful now, since the inside glass is now exposed, so don't hit anything with it.

Since the ring is just a "ring", it will not meter and auto focus with your lens. It's not hard though. Just move the camera closer or away to focus and take a test shot to see the exposure and then adjust...until you find the correct exposure (see my exposure triangle post if you need more info on what affects exposure)

On the two shots above, I used a Sunpak 422D manual flash with a DIY snoot to help light the object.

No comments:

Post a Comment