Monday, November 23, 2009

putting my budget flash to task

This past Friday, I did a portrait shoot at my kids dance studio. In fact, it was 5 separate sessions with 9 different subjects in a two hour span.

I packed my portable studio, comprising...
- backdrop setup
- three light stands
- my two budget Sunpak manual flashes
- my Flashpoint mono light

Everything easily fits in the trunk of my car. Off we went and it took about 15 min. to set every thing up once we got to the dance studio. This was great. It was an on the spot shoot, mostly with kids and a limited amount of time before the next session.

In the end, I was very pleased with the outcome, especially considering the ad hoc type of situation working with young kids in a short period of time. The one thing that really stood out in the end, is how my flash setup worked. Sure, I brought the Flashpoint, but it would have been just as fine if I had another budget Sunpak. If you follow my blog, then you know both of my Sunpak cost me a total of $55 used from ebay. I see them for $25 all the time. As you can see below, they work. You don't need to have $1500 worth of lighting equipment to get good shots. Sure, I can put the $1500 worth of lighting to good use if I had it, but the point is, you can do a lot with tight budget as well.

Some samples from the shoot:
D7D_1635

D7D_1589

D7D_1573

D7D_1502

D7D_1521

D7D_1546

No comments:

Post a Comment