Wednesday, November 4, 2009

D700 Grip

I wasn't sure I wanted a spend $250 for the MB-D10 Nikon grip, not knowing how much I would be using it. On top of that, I would then need to get another battery as well. I did think about getting another battery though. I searched around and found the linkdlight website and they had a grip for the D700 with a battery for $90, shipped.
Meike grip - 4
Meike grip - 3

Not too bad for $90, so I gave it a try. I actually used it quite a bit. It's been on the D700 for over 90% of the time since I got it two months ago, and almost 1800 shots later, it's been fine. Obviously this is not the same as a Nikon MB-D10. The housing is plastic and it feels plastic, but it works the same. It comes with a standard EN-EL3e battery holder, a AA battery holder and a BL3 cap. I tested the AA holder with 8 Eneloops. It shoots at 8fps, no issues. The 3rd party EN-EL3e battery that came with it is not the same as the Nikon. Not a big deal. I swapped it with the D200 Nikon EN-EL3e. I don't use the D200 as much, so not too concerned about the battery life in the D200.
Meike grip - 2

Oh yea, the actual box says Meike on it, so I assume it is made by Meike and just sold by linkdlight. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it for $90. My only concern is the plastic housing. Since I use a Rapid Strap RS4 that attaches at the tripod mount, I'm a bit concerned when I have a big lens on it, like a 70-200mm VR f/2.8, that the bottom part of the housing does not pull apart and the rest of the camera just drops! Hey, that's what insurance is for, right? :)

2 comments: