Monday, January 11, 2010

Back to the begining

Recently, a few people asked me about how to start shooting with the flash off camera. So I thought it would be good to start from the beginning. I will step through all the basics to get started.

First thing, of course, you need to have a flash! :) There are so many to start with, but the one most important thing to remember, if you are looking to get a flash, be sure the flash has full manual settings. DO NOT start with an Auto flash unless you already have one and want to play with it. Once you have more experience, you will be able to better determine what the next flash to get that will work the best for you.

Remember, there is no one answer that will fit everyone. I write about what works for me and try to put it in context so you can better use my information to help you make the right decision for you.

I have a number of flashes, including the SB-900, but for someone starting out, my favorite flash is the Sunpak variety. There are a few models to choose from. Again, any of the basic ones will work fine, as long as they are the full manual models. Here's two that you can find on ebay regularly for around $20 to $25 each.

twins

Notice that they have different model numbers, but look identical. It is because they are identical! :) Something to do with different markets, US model and Europe, or something like that...no matter, as long as they work.

Also, both have a wireless receiver already attached. These are CTR-301p. They do not come with the flash. I will get into this in the next blog.

These types of Sunpak flashes can come with different hot shoe mounts. The most common are the generic, Canon, and Nikon. I think the Pentax are fine as well, but I've read that the Minolta's are not standard hot shoe types.

For off camera work, if you stick with the generic, Canon, and Nikon, you will be fine. It does not matter if you have a Canon or Nikon. I've shot with Nikon for 25 years, so I know Nikons, and a little about Canon, so if you are shooting with something else, then you may want to do a little more research. And, speaking of research, below are the two best places to start with:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/

By the way, this is going to center around wireless. So, next blog...wireless triggers...

No comments:

Post a Comment